Client Rights and Grievance Procedure

The goal of all human/social service agencies is to ensure the safety and well-being of children and adults. If you are receiving services from any Juneau County Department of Human Services program, you have certain rights.

  • You must be treated with dignity and respect, free from any verbal, physical, emotional, or sexual abuse.
  • You have the right to have staff make fair and reasonable decisions about your treatment and care.
  • You will not be treated unfairly because of your race, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, or sexual orientation.
  • You will not be made to work except for personal housekeeping chores. If you agree to do other work, you must be paid.
  • You may make your own decisions about things like getting married, voting, and writing a will if you are over the age of 18, and have not been found legally incompetent.
  • You may use your own money as you choose.
  • You will not be filmed, taped, or photographed unless you agree to it.
You also have the right to express your concerns as a complaint. The agency has a responsibility to review your concerns as quickly and effectively as possible. Handling complaints at the local level helps to assure that local agencies are aware of concerns and agencies are accountable for decisions made and actions taken by agency staff. Please note this complaint process does not limit you from using other remedies that may be available to you under the law. There are two ways your concerns can be reviewed-informally or formally.

Informal - The best way to start resolving concerns is with the informal complaint process. The informal process is the fastest way to resolve issues and helps develop the relationship between you and your agency worker. The informal process may include talking with your agency worker, another staff person with whom you have been working, or the supervisor. You can contact the agency to request a call or meeting with agency staff to discuss your concerns. If you do not wish to use the informal process or have tried to discuss the concerns with the agency worker and/or supervisor and the issues are not resolved, you can use the formal complaint process. If a formal complaint is submitted, it will be handled through the formal process. You may continue to discuss the issue with the agency worker or supervisor informally while the formal complaint is being processed.

Formal - If you feel your concerns were not resolved through the informal process, you may file a written complaint and use the formal complaint process.

  1. Complete the Juneau County Department of Human Services Grievance Form explaining your concerns and what you want the agency to do to resolve your concerns. You may ask a staff member to assist you in completing the form.
  2. Send the complaint form to the agency address listed at the bottom of the form. Addressed, stamped envelopes are available at the agency for you to mail the form back at your convenience.
The agency will contact you to schedule a time for you (and third party if applicable) to speak to the person reviewing your complaint by telephone, video conference, or in-person to allow you to present information about your complaint. The meeting or call will be scheduled at a time that is convenient for you. If you do not respond to attempts to schedule the meeting or call, or if the meeting or call is scheduled and you do not participate, your complaint will be closed. Once the complaint form is received, the Juneau County Department of Human Services Grievance Officer or designee will review your complaint.

  1. Reviewing the case record and other documentation related to your concerns.
  2. Speaking with you to gather information about your concerns and what you want the agency to do to resolve the concerns.
  3. Speaking with your agency worker, other agency staff and other persons (such as service providers) as necessary to gather additional information about your concerns.
The Grievance Officer will respond to you in writing within 30 calendar days from the date the complaint was filed. The written response will indicate what action(s) the agency will take to respond to your concerns.

Complaint/Grievance Process

If you wish to submit a complaint, you can fill out our Grievance Form. Form can be dropped off in-person or mailed to:

Juneau County Department of Human Services
Attn: Grievance Officer
200 Hickory Street
Mauston, WI 53948

Or you can submit a grievance online.

Request for Fair Hearing
You have the right to a fair hearing. If your benefits are denied, reduced, or ended, and you disagree, the fair hearing process may be used to have the decision reviewed. To ask for a hearing, a completed Request For Fair Hearing form can be faxed to 608-264-9885 or mailed to:

Division of Hearings and Appeals
PO Box 7875
Madison, WI 53707-7875