Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services (APS) help Juneau County elder adults and adults-at-risk who have been abused, neglected, or financially exploited. Our APS team receives reports of alleged abuse and neglect of adults-at-risk (age 18-59) and elder adults (age 60+).

Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation: What to Look For
If you suspect an elder or adult at risk has experienced, is currently experiencing, or is at risk of experiencing abuse, neglect, self-neglect, or financial exploitation, call 608-847-2400 to make a report.

Who is an Adult-at-Risk?
An adult at risk is any individual age 18 through 59 who has a physical or mental condition that substantially impairs his or her ability to care for his or her needs. These adults have experienced, are currently experiencing, or are at risk of experiencing abuse, neglect, self-neglect or financial exploitation. Abuse includes the following: physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, treatment without consent, or unreasonable confinement or restraint.

Who is an Elder-at-Risk?
An elder adult at risk is someone age 60 or older that is subjected to any of the following types of abuse or neglect: physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, treatment without consent, unreasonable confinement or restraint, financial exploitation, neglect by a caregiver, or self neglect.

What happens when a concern is reported?
If a report is screened-in, an investigation will be conducted. The initial goal of the investigation is to verify the safety of the person alleged to be at risk. The investigation may include
  • A visit to their residence for observation and/or an interview. The interview could be with just the person at risk or also with individuals who are aware of the person and the situation.
  • A review of treatment and health care records or financial records. 
  • Collaboration with law enforcement, if necessary.
The Juneau County Adult Protective Services team cannot investigate allegations of caretaker abuse to elders or vulnerable adults who reside in Community Based Residential Facilities or in Nursing Homes. These concerns should be directed to the State Department of Health and Family Services. If you need to report a nursing home or other long-term care facility, visit Division of Quality Assurance for more information.

APS purple ribbon
Frequently Asked Questions
WI DHS Adult Protective Services